Forums
« Previous topic | Next topic »   
how much megabytes are we using by being on the forum

1 2 3 4 
LAN_402 LAN_403
Christo [PCD]
Wed Mar 19 2008, 08:34PM
Christo [PCD] Main Admin Registered Member #1 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:48AM
Get Firefox, it has a built in spell checker!
wayne
Wed Mar 19 2008, 08:36PM
wayne Registered Member #423 Joined: Sat Mar 15 2008, 03:06PM
hey its shorthand cmon. ha ha
Christo [PCD]
Wed Mar 19 2008, 08:36PM
LOL! Well said!
AiKePaH[ZM]
Wed Mar 19 2008, 08:38PM
AiKePaH[ZM] Registered Member #143 Joined: Mon May 29 2006, 11:33AM
You don't have to apologize about anything. Spelling shouldn't matter as long as people know what you are saying. I understood what you were saying just fine. This is an online forum, not school work, so spelling/grammar doesn't need to be 100%.
wayne
Wed Mar 19 2008, 08:40PM
wayne Registered Member #423 Joined: Sat Mar 15 2008, 03:06PM
thanks guys.
Dade_182
Wed Mar 19 2008, 10:03PM
Dade_182 Admin Registered Member #308 Joined: Tue May 15 2007, 11:36AM
Anyone with an answer to Enigma's question yet. I'm curios now myself...
Enigma_2k4
Thu Mar 20 2008, 09:12AM
Enigma_2k4 Registered Member #265 Joined: Sat Dec 23 2006, 08:59AM
Christo [PCD wrote ...
]
Get Firefox, it has a built in spell checker!

ROFLMAO! Nice one!

Yeah guys, please... I really want to know the answer!
MaTiCa
Thu Mar 20 2008, 06:02PM
MaTiCa Admin Registered Member #186 Joined: Sun Jul 23 2006, 12:16PM
I haven't been able to find anything either but I will keep on looking!
Christo [PCD]
Thu Mar 20 2008, 09:47PM
Risk: A dangerous addiction:

Where some prefer rock-climbing, bungee jumping or skydiving, former Welsh Secretary Ron Davies settled for a late night stroll on Clapham Common.

Mr Davies, who resigned from his cabinet post last November after being robbed at knifepoint when he met a stranger on the Common, has blamed his "moment of madness" on risk addiction.

He is definitely not alone in having the syndrome, although its status as an "illness" - Mr Davies' description - is in some doubt. Psychologists prefer to file it under the more humble label of "personality category".

The concept of risk addiction, or sensation-seeking, as experts know it, helps explain why people jump out of a plane at 10,000ft or belt down the motorway at 100mph.

Professor Marvin Zuckerman, who first identified the trait 30 years ago, explained sensation seekers as people who crave "varied, novel, complex and intense sensations and experiences".

His research found a tendency to live on the edge was more common in men than women, and more likely among divorcees than married or single people.

The characteristic tends to peak in late teens and early 20s and manifests itself in various ways, from extreme sports and dangerous challenges to less energetic past-times such as exotic travel or experimenting with drugs.

Mr Davies's admission that his foray on to Clapham Common may have had a sexual element, tallies with Mr Zuckerman's category of someone seeking to lose their inhibitions.

The professor, who remains an authority on the issue, found one motivation of "disinhibitors" was to shed inhibitions by seeking sexual activity with strangers.

Boredom is also a factor. Sensation seekers tend to be easily bored by repetitious, predictable experiences and people, or by routine work assignments.

But what makes risk more attractive to some people than others?

A chemical question

According to Dr John Maule, a researcher in risk and decision-making at Leeds University, most people have a built-in aversion to risk.

Those who live more dangerously can blame chemicals in their brains.

Research shows that high levels of dopamine, a neurotransmitter, are more common in sensation seekers.

Other neurotransmitters, including serotonin, may also play a part. Low serotonin activity may account for a lack of inhibition and impulsiveness.

Further research in this area has revealed risk seeking is more commonly a genetic condition.

Zuckerman-led investigation into the nature/nurture question, which involved comparisons between identical twins, found the trait was 60% genetic.

Further studies discovered a specific dopamine-producing gene associated with the danger-seeking personality.

Emotional state

But risk taking also depends on a person's emotional state, says Dr Maule, and someone suffering anxiety and fatigue is far more likely to put themselves in peril.

Mr Davies has said his childhood experiences, which are believed to have included physical abuse by his father, were to blame for his risk addiction.

Finally, it needs to be remembered that risk heavily depends on the individual.

Obviously, as a Cabinet minister, Mr Davies had more to lose than most by his secretive actions. But he may have judged the risk differently from most people.

"For me anyone who climbs a mountain must be crazy, but talking to climbers, they say they can minimise the risk. They see a challenge in reducing the danger and so perceive those risks as being different."

Some interesting facts:

Dopamine is neurotransmitter in the brain that plays vital roles in a variety of different behaviors. The major behaviors dopamine affects are movement, cognition, pleasure, and motivation . Dopamine is an essential component of the basal ganglia motor loop, as well as the neurotransmitter responsible for controlling the exchange of information from one brain area to another . However, it is the role that dopamine plays in pleasure and motivation that attracts the most neurobiologists attention.

Don't have the full answer yet, but this is pretty close!
Enigma_2k4
Fri Mar 21 2008, 10:27AM
Enigma_2k4 Registered Member #265 Joined: Sat Dec 23 2006, 08:59AM
Thanks Christo.... interesting read, I have actually spoken to a friend on the topic last night and he's got a great book about risk addiction I am going to read.

But yep, it still doesn't answer the question. LOL, I reckon I need to read through the entire basic instinct script to find it
 1 2 3 4 
Moderator(s): Christo [PCD], Morgue[FLB], RaZeaL [PCD], Siversmith[PCD], Dade_182, MaTiCa, MayheM

Go to:

LAN_431 LAN_432 LAN_433