Forums
« Previous topic | Next topic »   
Registry scan result:

1 2 
LAN_402 LAN_403
Dee
Thu Feb 21 2008, 03:10PM
Dee Registered Member #336 Joined: Wed Jul 18 2007, 10:28PM
I did a registry scan and it found 118 problems under the section 'Complete Registry Scan' (Invalid references located throughout entire registry). Please tell me what has caused these problems, so that I can prevent it from happening again?
PlaceboZA
Thu Feb 21 2008, 03:17PM
PlaceboZA Registered Member #229 Joined: Fri Oct 13 2006, 11:59AM
Microsoft

Well, usually it's programs or games you've installed long ago, and either (1) they don't know how to PROPERLY uninstall themselves or (2) you deleted them without uninstalling them properly.

To prevent it - uninstall things properly, and run registry fixers from time to time
And if you can bear to, you can create a ghost/disk image of your computer and keep it somewhere safe.

An image in this case is like a backup of everything on your computer. Exactly the way it is now.
So if anything ever goes wrong, you can just replace it with the backup, and all is working nicely again.
Christo [PCD]
Thu Feb 21 2008, 07:58PM
Christo [PCD] Main Admin Registered Member #1 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:48AM
It all depends on the scanner used and the details of the "problems". Please supply more details.
Dee
Fri Feb 22 2008, 08:41AM
Hi Christo,

I used 'Registry Fix".

Under the following sections I had several problems:

*ActiveX/Classes Section - 17 problems found by Registry Fix
*Invalid shortcuts - 9 problems
*Program ID section - 1
*File Associations - 4
Complete registry scan (Invalid references located throughout the entire registry)- 118

Under details for the last one, 118 files came up that were apparently "not in the their correct respective locations" (something like that). Obviously I am doing something wrong to do with the locations of my files? Of the specific details I could remember, HP (Hewlard Packard) featured as just one of the 118 - That would be my printer.
Christo [PCD]
Fri Feb 22 2008, 06:36PM
Christo [PCD] Main Admin Registered Member #1 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:48AM
Windows loads the registry and files into RAM. Every now and then i writes the data back to the hard drive, and that is what the page file is used for. If the disk or RAM becomes faulty or the pc was just powered off uncleanly, data/registry corruption occurs. Also, a lot of programs leave registry entries even after the program has been uninstalled.

A very good program to use is Registry Mechanic >

It has an optimize and compact utility.
Dee
Fri Feb 22 2008, 11:06PM
Thanks I'll check that all out! Another thing, can you tell me what causes the files, (actually everything) to take way too long to open up? This is a very recent development and it's driving me insane.
Morgue[FLB]
Fri Feb 22 2008, 11:30PM
Morgue[FLB] Admin Registered Member #59 Joined: Wed Mar 08 2006, 11:21AM
Could be a number of things.

Defrag your harddrive regularly to optimise drive performance (right-click on the drive, choose Properties -> Tools -> Defragment Now).

Running more than one virus scanner at a time will also adversely affect the speed of opening and accessing files.
Dee
Sat Feb 23 2008, 12:30AM
"Running more than one virus scanner at a time will also adversely affect the speed of opening and accessing files" -

- Do you mean if I have installed more than one virus scanner, (does this include spyware scanners too), or do you mean if I let both of them scan at the same time if I had two of them?

Is it a problem to have two registry scanners and two of everything installed? Do they not conflict and slow things down?
Morgue[FLB]
Sat Feb 23 2008, 11:25AM
Morgue[FLB] Admin Registered Member #59 Joined: Wed Mar 08 2006, 11:21AM
Virus scanners and Spyware scanners have different features. A virus scanner scans each file that you access in real-time (if it's doing it's job correctly). This means that when you run a program, or open a file, before the new window pops up on the screen, the virus scanner has to inspect the process to ensure that it's not infected. This takes time, milliseconds.

While milliseconds may not seem like much, when you add them up, they create the type of slow-response 'lag' that frustrates many computer users.

Running two virus scanners simultaneously will have a noticeable impact on the performance of your PC, because BOTH of them will inspect every new process on your PC.

Whether or not a Spyware scanner has any effect depends upon whether it scans files in real-time, or if it only offers an on-demand service (you have to manually tell it to scan). If it's real-time, then the same principle applies as with virus scanners.

Installing more than two similar programs of any other type is typically not a problem, as long as they don't both run continually, and do the same task (like a firewall, for example - you only need one).

Similar software CAN conflict even if it doesn't run all the time, if for example the software wants to take control of a certain file type. Like if you install Adobe Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro - both programs would like the .JPG file type to be associated with them. There are other ways in which similar software can also conflict.

With this info in mind, it's recommended to have a good idea of what each piece of software does before installing it. You can avoid duplicating functionality in this way. You also save harddrive space by installing fewer programs, and conserve other system resources.
Dee
Sat Feb 23 2008, 03:05PM
Thanks for all the help.
1 2 
Moderator(s): Christo [PCD], Morgue[FLB], RaZeaL [PCD], Siversmith[PCD], Dade_182, MaTiCa, MayheM

Go to:

LAN_431 LAN_432 LAN_433