Forums
« Previous topic | Next topic »   
Video Games Improve Vision?

1 2 
LAN_402 LAN_403
Christo [PCD]
Sun Feb 11 2007, 01:09PM
Christo [PCD] Main Admin Registered Member #1 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:48AM
Eyesight only improves while playing one hour per day. Please consult your doctor if you have diminishing eyesight. Do not play in dark rooms.

Let's discuss this issue!!
B@kg@t
Sun Feb 11 2007, 01:31PM
B@kg@t Registered Member #102 Joined: Mon Apr 03 2006, 05:41PM
I think that the answer is probably twenty years in the future 'cos no-one knows.

Why does one person have 20/20 vision throughout their lives and others can't see **** at 18?

I've always envied people with good eye-sight tho....

... but then again I had a detatched retina
Hawk
Sun Feb 11 2007, 02:24PM
Hawk Registered Member #217 Joined: Mon Sep 18 2006, 04:12PM
I would say that reading improves your vision....gaming might worsen your vision but may help with problem solving and reactions.
JamezV2.0
Sun Feb 11 2007, 03:54PM
JamezV2.0 Registered Member #242 Joined: Wed Nov 15 2006, 11:23PM
playing racing games certainly helps your driving. when the back end starts to go you can bang the wheel the otherway and not spin your car out.
Christo [PCD]
Sun Feb 11 2007, 06:54PM
Christo [PCD] Main Admin Registered Member #1 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:48AM
You can read more about the findings here:
FreddeR
Mon Feb 12 2007, 12:11PM
FreddeR Registered Member #218 Joined: Tue Sep 19 2006, 10:49AM
I think it supes up your awareness and reflexes, as well as attention to detail. . .
Hawk
Mon Feb 12 2007, 04:06PM
Hawk Registered Member #217 Joined: Mon Sep 18 2006, 04:12PM
I think it also helps with decision making....like making quick decisions in pressure situations in real life - you make decsisions like that all the time when gaming e.g "What option would be better?....Reload now or run around the corner then reload"
RaZeaL [PCD]
Tue Feb 13 2007, 08:09AM
RaZeaL [PCD] Admin Registered Member #6 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:31PM
I agree that playing games do increase your motor skills allot! Also awareness and problem solving. What it does for your eyes.... Jack Shi! ... If you train you're eyes right, like give it the rest it must have, it wont affect your sight that much! But it's the constant stare or sitting too close to your monitor that damages the eyes.

Also with the new monitors, you can sit for hours without even blinking! But the older CRT monitors... OUCH!!!
AnnaMae
Tue Feb 13 2007, 08:30AM
AnnaMae Registered Member #233 Joined: Tue Oct 24 2006, 11:38AM
I have a friend who is an albino, (they have no colour pigment in their skin and eyes). His eyesight is ghastly, he has driven into parked cars with his bicycle a few times. He will never be able to have his drivers license because of his eyes site. But he is brilliant at far cry and quake. He picks you out from far distances - you don't even see it coming.
He has "trained" his eyes to play the games.
Placebo has better than 20/20 vision according to his optometrist. And he has lived in front of a pc (daily) for he last 18 years!
Morgue[FLB]
Tue Feb 13 2007, 09:59AM
Morgue[FLB] Admin Registered Member #59 Joined: Wed Mar 08 2006, 11:21AM
RaZeaL [PCD wrote ...
]
But it's the constant stare or sitting too close to your monitor that damages the eyes.

Also with the new monitors, you can sit for hours without even blinking! But the older CRT monitors... OUCH!!!

Yup, I've screwed up my eyes royally - I'm myopic Although I think that's from reading in low-light conditions when I was younger, rather than staring at a monitor.

RaZeaL, as for older CRTs hurting your eyes... this is Microsoft's fault, not the fault of the monitor. Why do I say that?

Well, because MS had the bright idea that they would default monitor refresh rates to 60Hz in Windows, no matter how high a refresh rate your gfx card/monitor combo supports. So most folks that aren't aware of this find that their eyes start to hurt or that they get headaches if they stare at their monitors for too long. MS have kept this idiotic default even down to Windows Vista 60Hz is a very low refresh rate. I make a point of turning my refresh rate up as high as possible on any Windows machine that I work on. Try it - it makes a MASSIVE difference to your computing experience!!

For anyone thaat wants to change their refresh rate, do the following:

* Right-click on your desktop
* Choose Properties
* Click on the Settings Tab
* Click on the Advanced Button
* Click on the Monitor Tab
* In the Monitor Settings section, ensure that "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" is checked, and then pick the highest refresh rate you can. I highly recommend 75Hz or higher.

You will immediately notice a difference - the monitor will be easier to concentrate on, and you will be able to work at your computer for longer periods without feeling eye fatigue or getting headaches.

1 2 
Moderator(s): Christo [PCD], Morgue[FLB], RaZeaL [PCD], Siversmith[PCD], Dade_182, MaTiCa, MayheM

Go to:

LAN_431 LAN_432 LAN_433